“I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me.”
~ Psalm 13:6 ~
Thanksgiving Day is often the time when everyone posts their “thanksgiving lists”, but after reading the above passage and meditating on it, I realized that every day should be a day that we post our thanksgiving lists! While Psalm 13 starts out with despairing words like “How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?”, it ends with the triumphant words of a man who put his gaze on God who had truly blessed him.
All believers in Christ face hard times, trials, and difficulties, but we are still encouraged to “come into his presence with thanksgiving” (Psalm 95:2a). As followers of Jesus, we have numerous things to be thankful for, because He has dealt bountifully with us! As I was meditating on this verse this morning, I came up with a list of things that I’m thankful for, and want to share with you all.
- “But God, being rich in mercy…” -Ephesians 2:4. I, too, was lost and dead in trespasses and sins. I, too, was a child of wrath. I, too, lived in the passions of my flesh. But God, being rich in mercy and love made me alive in Christ. This truth alone thrills my heart to think of this kind of unending mercy and extravagant love!
- “You were ransomed… with the precious blood of Christ” -1 Peter 1:18-19. I was not ransomed with perishable things, but with the precious blood of Christ, my Savior!
- I am now a slave of righteousness – Romans 6:20. Before salvation, my whole desire and passion was to please Satan. Enslaved and under his bondage, there was no joy in my heart. The thing Satan called “freedom,” the impulses to do whatever I desired, was actually slavery. And now I am enslaved to Christ- having true freedom by the grace He gives me to obey His Word!
- God’s ever-hearing ear – Psalm 4:3. What a comfort and delight to the heart to know that all those prayers, tears and silent cries are heard by the Father.
- The faithfulness of the Lord that endures forever – Psalm 117:2. When believing and relying on the Lord to answer promises and to keep His own, the faithfulness of the Lord is an ever-constant comfort. There will be no promise that God breaks, and there will be no child of His that He will ever lose.
- Those who keep watch over my soul – Hebrews 13:17. Every Sunday I am reminded of how grateful I am for the leaders/elders that the Lord has placed over me in the Church. They are the ones who spoke to me the word of God (Hebrews 13:7) and keep watch over my soul (Hebrews 13:17).
- The local Church – Romans 12:4-5. How thankful I am for the body of believers that the Lord has placed in my life! Praise the Lord for a local Church to gather with weekly to encourage us onto God and to worship the Lord with.
Time would fail me to write of all the ways that the Lord has dealt bountifully with me, so here are just a few. How has He dealt bountifully with you?